Staging a Home
What is home staging?
It is the preparation of a home to make it look and feel move-in-ready to potential buyers. It helps potential buyers envision what it would be like to live in your home. Along with real estate photography, it is a cornerstone of marketing homes.
In addition to bringing in a professional home stager, you can start to stage a home on your own by decluttering and depersonalizing your space.
What are the benefits of home staging?
Speed and money!!!
- 38% of buyers’ agents said staging increased their clients offer over similar non-staged homes.
- 41% of sellers’ agents reported an increase in dollar value offered by buyers for staged homes compared to similar non-staged homes.
- 23% of sellers’ agents reported a 1-5% in offer value for a staged home. 18% of sellers’ agents reported a 6-10% in offer value. 6% of sellers’ agents saw an 11-15% offer value increase.
- Staged homes can sell faster: 52% of sellers’ agents report a decrease in days on market (DOM) for staged homes.
- 31% of sellers’ agents said staging a home greatly decreased DOM. 22% of sellers’ agents said staging a home slightly decreased DOM. Some sellers’ agents did not see a difference.
Are there additional benefits?
Of course–buyers who view staged property photos online (where 97% of them start their home search) are more willing to visit the house in person.
What will home staging cost?
- The average cost of staging a home is $1,719/month.
- The average cost of staging a vacant luxury home is $6,800/month.
Of course, costs vary widely, depending on the size of the project, the property price, and more.
Who pays to stage a home?
The seller typically pays to have their home staged.
Do I stage my entire home?
NO!!! The living room is the most important area for staging, and the guest bedroom is the least important.
The next rooms to stage in order of importance: primary bedroom, kitchen, dining room, yard/outside space, bathroom, children’s bedroom, guest bedroom. And the living room and primary bedroom are by far the most important!
How does the Bernardi Group help stage a home?
The Bernardi Group provides all of our clients with a complimentary staging consultation with our professional stager. During this visit, she will go through your home with you and point out things that you can do with the furniture and artwork that you already have that will make the home more appealing to a potential buyer. She also makes recommendations on improvements, color choices, and small updates that you can make to your home that will make it more marketable.
If needed, the stager will put together a bid for adding her staging furniture to your home. The rental and use of this furniture is typically the financial responsibility of the Seller.
The Bernardi Group will help coordinate the arrival of the staged items as well as the removal once your home sells.
Data for this blog post was pulled from the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and the International Association of Home Staging Professionals (IAHSP).